- Victorian public hospitals and health services must develop an environmental management plan and publicly report on their environmental performance.
- Use this page to access resources for health services on environmental management planning.
- You can access a guide on Victorian public health service environmental sustainability requirements.
Victorian public hospitals and health services are required through the Department of Health and Human Services policy and funding guidelines to develop and maintain a whole-of-organisation environmental management plan and to publicly report on their environmental performance – in accordance with the department’s Environmental reporting guidelines.
We have produced resources to assist health services meet these requirements:
- Health service environmental sustainability requirements: guide of requirements
- Completing your environmental management plan: instructions and checklist
- Environmental management plan template
- Sample environmental management actions template
Environmental requirements and environmental management planning
The Environmental sustainability strategy 2018–19 to 2022–23 sets out the department's commitment to further improve the environmental performance of the health system.
This is the primary guiding document for environmental sustainability, with the department's environmental management plan template providing guidance on how health services can operationalise it.
Other environmental opportunities
This section contains non-mandatory opportunities, that health services are encouraged to review and adopt.
Some of these may apply to the government or sector as a whole and may become mandatory in the future.
 While best efforts are made to keep this information up to date, health services are responsible for meeting legislative requirements. If there are any requirements that are not included, please email .
Victorian public hospitals and health services must develop and maintain a whole-of-organisation environmental management plan, and publicly report on their environmental performance.
This is in accordance with the department's Environmental reporting guidelines.
We have developed an environmental management plan (EMP) template to assist health services to meet these requirements. The template includes a separate customisable multiple purpose action plan, and there is a guide to help you complete the plan.
The EMP template has minimal formatting so you can import it into your health service's visual style templates.
Access the files via the downloads section at the bottom of this page.
Public environmental reporting refers to public disclosure of an organisation's environmental performance, for example, the consumption of energy and water.
Transparency about environmental performance encourages improvements in environmental management practices.
Environmental reporting typically involves:
- determining the environmental issues to be reported
- determining the reporting boundaries and materiality relating to environmental impacts
- determining the reporting metrics and normalising factors to assess performance over time
- collecting the data related to impacts, reporting metrics and normalising factors
- reporting on performance.
The Environmental reporting guidelines (see Downloads) provide direction to Victorian public hospitals and health services on how to report environmental performance.
The guidelines set out both mandatory and voluntary reporting requirements, as well as providing principles and standards that should be used when collecting and reporting environmental performance data.
The Environmental data management system generates an environmental performance report in accordance with the Environmental reporting guidelines.
Reviewed 23 January 2020