In Victoria, the regulatory and legislative mechanisms to ensure food safety include:
- the Food Act 1984 (the Act), which controls the sale of food in Victoria, and is enforced principally by local councils
- reporting of activities under the Act
- a register of convictions under the Act
- the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, which is part of Victorian law
- the Victorian specialist food agencies PrimeSafe and Dairy Food Safety Victoria.
Environmental health officers
Link to the Public Health Hub (PHHub): A secure site specifically for environmental health officers (EHOs). The PHHub includes resources, tools and regulatory information and guidance for EHOs.
Food safety auditors
Victorian food safety auditors: Qualifications and requirements for certification by the department as a food safety auditor, and how to locate one for your business.
Food safety laws and regulations
In Victoria, there are several regulatory and legislative mechanisms in place to ensure food safety.
Reviewed 19 September 2023