In Victoria some special, at-risk groups are eligible to receive some vaccines for free: vulnerable people, preterm infants, children and adolescents in out-of-home care, medically at-risk people, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and refugees and asylum seekers.
Some people who have experienced socioeconomic disadvantage don't have equitable access to vaccines during their period of eligibility.
Infants born less than 32 weeks gestation or weighing less than 2000 grams or with risk conditions are recommended additional vaccines.
Children and adolescents in out-of-home care
What you need to know
- Children and adolescents living in out-of-home care are often behind with their immunisations.
- Carers can give a general practitioner (GP) permission to give vaccines to a child in their care, if they have a child-specific instrument of authorisation or standard authorisation issued by the child’s Community Service Organisation or Child Protection.
- Mature minor1consent may be used if the Immunisation Provider deems an adolescent can provide their own valid consent for vaccination.
- To enrol in childcare, a child must have an immunisation history statement showing which immunisations they have received.
- Centrelink family payments may stop if a child is not up to date with vaccinations.
- Talk about immunisation at the child’s health check with a GP.
People with medical risk conditions
Additional vaccines are recommended for people with certain medical conditions.
- for pneumococcal disease vaccination recommendations.
- , Vaccination for Special Risk Groups.
- - enhanced immunisation schedule available from this page.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
Specified additional vaccines are recommended at certain ages.
Refugees and asylum seekers
Vaccines are funded regardless of whether the person holds a Medicare card.
Age, lifestyle and occupation
1young people can be deemed to be able to provide consent for their own treatment if they meet the ‘mature minor’ or ‘Gillick principle’.
Reviewed 22 December 2021