Department of Health

The Victorian Aids and Equipment Program (VA&EP) provides subsidised aids and equipment, home and vehicle modifications to help people live safely and independently in their own home. Re-issued items of equipment are also available at no cost to the eligible person.

Who is eligible

To be eligible, you need to:

  • be a permanent resident of Victoria or
  • hold a Permanent Protection Visa or Humanitarian Visa or be an asylum seeker and
  • require assistive technology on a permanent or long-term basis for a health or ageing-related need.

People with a disability who do not meet National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) eligibility due to age, residency status or functional impairment level can also apply to the VA&EP.

Who is not eligible

You are not eligible if you:

  • live in an Australian Government funded residential aged care facility
  • receive aids and equipment through other government funded programs such as the National Disability Insurance Scheme, Workcover, Transport Accident Commission or the Department of Veteran Affairs
  • are able to claim the cost of aids and equipment through a private health insurance provider
  • are an inpatient of a public or private hospital, or within 30 days of discharge from a public hospital.

How to apply

If you believe you are eligible, contact the relevant funded organisation.

The State-wide Equipment Program (SWEP)External Link , a business unit of Grampians Health, is funded to administer the:

  • Aids and Equipment Program
  • Continence Aids Program
  • Domiciliary Oxygen Program
  • Supported Accommodation Equipment Assistance Scheme
  • Vehicle Modification Subsidy Scheme (VMSS)
  • Lymphoedema Compression Garment Program (LCGP)
  • Laryngectomy Program
  • Preventative Maintenance Program.

Telephone SWEP on 1300 747 937.

Yooralla is funded to administer the Electronic Communication Devices SchemeExternal Link . Telephone the Electronic Communications Devices Scheme on 1300 885 886.

MND Victoria receives a contributionExternal Link towards the cost of its equipment library for people who have motor neurone disease. Telephone MND Vic on 1800 806 632

Freedom SolutionsExternal Link (formerly Solve-TAD) is funded to design and manufacture specialised, customised equipment for eligible people. Telephone Freedom Solutions on 1300 663 243.

Expression Australia (formerly Vicdeaf) is funded to administer the Smoke Alarm SchemeExternal Link . Telephone Expression Australia on TTY: (03) 9473 1199 or Ph: (03) 9473 1111.

Vision Australia Foundation is funded to administer the Low Cost Vision Aids SchemeExternal Link . Telephone Vision Australia on 1300 84 74 66.

You will need to arrange for an assessment from an Assistive Technology prescriber, usually an allied health or health professional, to determine the most appropriate and cost effective aid or piece of equipment for you.

A general application and eligibility form for aids and equipment will need to be submitted along with a copy of the prescribing therapists' assessment report.

What if you are receiving an Australian Government home care package?

If you are receiving Home Care level packages you are able to apply to the aids and equipment program.

Home Care level packages 1 and 2

If you already receive this package, you are eligible to access all items currently available through the program in line with existing guidelines.

Home Care level packages 3 and 4

If you already receive this package, you are eligible to apply for:

  • power wheelchairs and associated initial customisation
  • scooters
  • home modifications.

Reviewed 14 March 2024


Contact details

Victorian Aids and Equipment Program

Was this page helpful?