Department of Health

People with mental illness and their families and carers can get help to advocate for their rights from a range of individuals organisations:

  • independent mental health advocates
  • the Community Visitors Program
  • Victoria Legal Aid
  • the Office of the Public Advocate
  • the Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC)
  • Tandem Inc, the peak body for families and carers.

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)External Link is a new statewide advocacy service for people receiving compulsory treatment under Victoria's Mental Health Act 2014. IMHA helps people to have a say in decisions relating to mental health assessment, treatment and recovery.

Reviewed 25 March 2022


Was this page helpful?