Department of Health

Residential aged care services

Residential aged care is for older people who can no longer live at home. Services provide continuous supported care ranging from help with daily tasks and personal care to 24-hour nursing care. People wanting to find out more information about residential aged care should visit the My Aged CareExternal Link website or call the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422.

The Commonwealth Government is responsible for the provision of residential aged care services in Victoria. This includes regulation for quality of care standards and funding under the Aged Care Act 1997.

Residential aged care services are delivered by a range of providers including not-for-profit, private and public sector organisations.

The Victorian Government plays a key role in residential aged care through its funding contribution and support for high quality care in public sector residential aged care services (PSRACS).

Reviewed 01 December 2023


Was this page helpful?