- Fast track services ensure timely care and discharge of emergency department (ED) patients presenting with less serious illnesses and injuries.
- Fast track services are provided by a multidisciplinary team in the ED.
- A discussion paper outlines the background and key initiatives and outcomes.
Fast track services are designed for patients seeking primary care services for less serious illnesses and injuries. The emergency department (ED) care is provided by a multidisciplinary team in an identified area of the ED. This ensures timely patient assessment, treatment and discharge.
Fast track services resource
The discussion paper Streaming care: fast track services in Victorian hospital emergency departments documents initiatives undertaken by Victorian health services establishing fast track services.
The document covers:
- background and development of fast track services
- process redesign principles
- Victoria’s Redesigning Hospital Care Program
- key features of Victoria’s fast track services
- evidence of the effectiveness of this model of care
- initiatives and outcomes from hospitals operating fast track services.
Reviewed 05 October 2015