- This guideline applies to all long-term residential care facilities (LTRCFs) in Victoria.
- The term 'LTRCF' refers to any public or private aged care, disability services or other congruent accommodation setting in Victoria where residents are provided with personal care or healthcare by facility staff.
- The recommendations in this guideline are relevant for a wide range of health professionals, including medical staff, nursing and allied health staff, personal care attendants and disability support staff.
- Version 1.1 of this guideline is a minor update to include reference to the addition of the new Victorian guideline on environmental sampling for carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae to the suite of Victorian CPE guidelines.
The Victorian guideline on CPE for LTRCFs contains the following information:
- background to CPE in Victoria
- governance requirements, which includes roles and responsibilities for both LTRCFs and the Department of Health and Human Services
- screening, detection and investigation requirements for CPE in LTRCFs
- infection prevention and control precautions required to manage CPE
- actions required in the event of an outbreak of CPE at a LTRCF.
Appendix C of the guideline includes a sample self-audit checklist for LTRCFs to help determine compliance with general infection prevention and control precautions, as well as specific CPE infection control precaution requirements.
Templates, forms and other supporting resources referred to within the guideline are available to be downloaded below.
Victorian guideline on CPE for LTRCFs, version 1.1
Patient, staff and clinician information sheets
CPE surveillance data collection forms
The following forms are the CPE surveillance data collection forms. When completed, forms are to be submitted to . Part A is to be used for all confirmed human CPE isolates whereas Part B is only used when the likelihood of transmission within a healthcare facility needs to be further investigated.
Reviewed 03 December 2021