Department of Health

A food business is any organisation that sells food or drink.

In Victoria, food businesses must be registered through their local council and comply with the Victorian Food Act 1984 (the Act) and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code (the Code) to ensure that the food they sell is safe to eat.

A small number of businesses do not need to register with their council, but the council still must be informed of their activities.

If you want to start a food business, you must contact your local council. They will classify your food business, explain what your requirements are under that classification and inform you of anything else you need to do.

Local council can also give you advice on starting your business and setting up or buying your new food premises and help you through the building or purchasing process.

To learn more about what can be involved when starting a food business, watch the two animations (available with subtitles in four languages (Simplified Chinese, Vietnamese, Arabic and Hindi) below:

Reviewed 26 November 2023


Was this page helpful?