The Department of Health is pleased to invite applications for 2024 part-time board chair and director positions of public health services (including Ambulance Victoria and HealthShare Victoria) and public hospitals (including multi-purpose services and early parenting centres).
The department is committed to growing and strengthening boards to reflect the rich diversity of Victorian communities.
How to apply
The positions start on 1 July 2024, and appointments last up to 3 years.
Please read the How to apply document allocated to the board position you are applying for, before starting your online application. This can be viewed on the page for the board position you are applying for.
Reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process will be provided upon request.
Public health service boards
Public health services include Victoria’s major metropolitan and regional health services such as:
- Austin Health.
- Monash Health.
- Goulburn Valley Health.
- Latrobe Regional Health
Public hospital boards
Public hospitals in the 2024 recruitment include:
- Victoria’s rural public hospitals, such as Beaufort and Skipton Health Service, Mildura Base Public Hospital and South Gippsland Hospital
- Multi-purpose services, such as: Alpine Health and Orbost Regional Health
- Early Parenting Centres (2 are included): The Queen Elizabeth Centr,e and Tweddle Child and Family Health Service.
Diversity on boards
We are committed to growing and strengthening boards and committees to reflect the richness of diverse Victorian communities. It is our responsibility to ensure the leadership of our health system is culturally competent, inclusive, accessible, and safe.
We encourage applications from all Victorians with interest and expertise in public health including:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- people from all age groups and abilities
- multicultural diverse communities
- people who identify with LGBTIQ+ communities
- people who live in rural and regional Victoria.
Board Director Capability Framework
The Board Director Capability Framework (the Framework) has been developed to help board directors and chairs understand what is important in building an effective board to oversee the Victorian public health services.
It also informs potential board members about the personal attributes and range of capabilities needed to serve on a Victorian public health service board.
Attributes and capabilities of board directors
Board directors, as leaders of public health services, are an integral part of the Victorian health system.
Appointed by the relevant portfolio Minister, directors are selected for their attributes and capabilities that contribute to good governance and support a culture of inclusiveness and integrity.
All the attributes we have outlined on this page are essential, however some capabilities will depend on the the strategic outlook of the organisation and may be prioritised by a board based on its strategic focus
We also recognise that board directors will continue to develop their capabilities from their personal and professional experience while on a public health service board.
The eligibility requirements are underpinned by the principle of supporting a culture of integrity, transparency and actively managing conflict of interest.
The following criteria apply to applicants who are Victorian Public Sector employees:
- Current employees or contractors of the Department of Health (including an employee on secondment to the department) are not eligible for these board appointments.
- Current employees of a health service are not eligible for appointment to the board of their employing health service.
- Current employees are eligible for appointment to the board of another health service (subject to employer approval) unless that health service has announced plans to explore an amalgamation with their employing health service.
- Former employees of a health service are eligible for appointment to the board of that health service if their employment ended more than 18 months before the closing date for applications.
Employees of the Victorian Public Service are employees of:
- Victorian Government departments.
- Statutory authorities (including public health services, public hospitals and multi-purpose services), and
- other entities (but excluding local government).
- Please note that health board chairs and directors are classified as public officials and not Victorian Public Sector employees.
The document - Board Eligibility criteria for Victorian pubic sector employees - provides further information for Victorian Public Sector Employees, including guidance for eligibility for remuneration:
Term of appointments
All recommendations for appointment and reappointment are based on what serves the best interests of the entity (and the community) and not the individual.
While there is a maximum number of years or terms that can be served on a board, it is not guaranteed that existing chairs and directors will automatically be reappointed to serve the maximum allowable tenure.
The document - Tenure of board directors, provides further guidance for boards and directors (including chairs):
Personal information and privacy consent form
The department collects personal information as part of the application process. By submitting an application, you are consenting to the department collecting and using the information as outlined in the Personal Information and Privacy Consent Form.
If you chose not to disclose information that is required to assess eligibility and undertake probity checks, the progress of the application may be affected. Please read the Personal Information and Privacy Consent Form before starting your application:
Board position descriptions
Reviewed 27 October 2023