Apply to register cooling tower system
Cooling tower systems must be registered with the Department of Health. A penalty applies if you do not register a cooling tower system.
Registration is issued for one, two or three years. The applicant can choose which registration period they wish to apply for.
To register a cooling tower system complete the Application for registration of a cooling tower system form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cooling tower systems registration fees are charged per cooling tower.
Fees are automatically scheduled to increase on 1 July each year.
Cooling tower registration fees are exempt of GST under Division 81 of the Goods and Services Act 1999.
The department will refund the registration fee for an application that is refused or withdrawn prior to the registration being issued. There are no refunds once a registration is issued.
To obtain a refund you need to complete the online refund .
More information on the fees and refund page.
Notify Legionella detection
It is a requirement under the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2019 that the responsible person must notify the department within 24 hours when Legionella is detected:
- in three consecutive samples from the cooling tower
- at a level greater than 1,000 cfu/ml in a single sample from the cooling tower.
Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2019, it is an offence to:
- tamper with a sample of water taken from the cooling tower, and
- falsify a laboratory report for HCC or Legionella
Notification can be made by emailing the department at email@example.com.
Notify change of registration details - Cooling tower system
A registration holder must notify the department with 30 days after each event of the following change of details:
- change of registration holder’s contact details including mailing addresses, mobile phone numbers, and email addresses;
- transfer of ownership of land where cooling system(s) is/are located;
- transfer of ownership of cooling tower system;
- change of water treatment service provider;
- addition of a cooling tower to a cooling tower system;
- removal of a cooling tower from a cooling tower system;
- relocation of a cooling tower system;
- change of a registration duration (1,2 or 3 year duration).
Notify to change registration details.
Notify to decommission or remove cooling tower
A registration holder must notify the department within 30 days after a cooling tower system has been decommissioned or removed. A copy of the current registration certificate must be attached to the notification form.
Notify to decommission or remove cooling tower system.
Who do I notify?
Notifications are made to the department by:
Telephone: 1300 767 469
Public register – find a cooling tower
You can search for the location of each registered cooling tower system in Victoria. The register is made available to meet the department's obligations under Section 89 of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. You will need to enter a street name, street type and locality to perform the search.
Reviewed 13 April 2021