- As well as being high enough to deter climbing, fences should be continuous to the ground.
- Cross rails that might encourage climbing should be minimised and on the outside of the fence.
- Fence tops should discourage climbing, without using any sharp materials.
- Perception of boundaries can be lessened by hiding fences behind thick plantings of shrubs.
- Uninterrupted views of surrounding countryside can be achieved with good garden and fencing design, especially for facilities in rural areas or next to parkland.
Reviewed 18 February 2016