Women are encouraged to be involved in decisions about their care, and to improve the communication between the various care providers involved in maternity care.
The Victorian Maternity Record (VMR) provides pregnant women with a standardised maternity record of their pregnancy care and progress. The VMR:
- reduces risks by providing health services with access to a complete pregnancy record
- improves the quality and consistency of information given to women
- enhances continuity of care
- improves communication between service providers
- provides continuity of documentation between clinicians and sites.
Public maternity services should tell all pregnant women about the VMR and encourage them to use this resource.
Reviewed 21 February 2023