- This guideline applies to all paediatric and adult health services in Victoria. For the purpose of this guideline, the term ‘health service’ refers to public and private health services, hospitals and denominational hospitals that admit patients overnight.
- The guidance also applies to all satellite haemodialysis units and day oncology units. Surgical day procedure centres are not within the scope of this guideline.
- Recommendations in this guideline supplant all other state and national infection control guidelines related to the management of CPE.
- Any isolation of a suspected or confirmed CPE (as defined in the glossary of this guideline) from clinical, screening or environmental samples are in scope.
- Version 2.1 of the Victorian guideline on CPE for health services is a minor update to include reference to the addition of the new Victorian guideline on environmental sampling for carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae to the suite of Victorian CPE guidelines.
Templates, forms and other supporting resources referred to within the guideline are available to be downloaded below.
Victorian guideline on CPE for health services, version 2.1
CPE surveillance data collection forms
The following forms are the CPE surveillance data collection forms. When completed, forms are to be submitted to . Part A is to be used for all confirmed human CPE isolates whereas Part B is only used when the likelihood of transmission within a healthcare facility needs to be further investigated.
CPE isolate referral forms (human and environmental)
Patient, staff and clinician information sheets
Reviewed 04 January 2022