- Some regulations allow for the department Secretary to approve individuals or circumstances that are not included in the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Regulations 2017.
- The Secretary approvals are in place to ensure that health practitioners and others can possess and use certain medicines and poisons.
Registered health practitioners are regulated by the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981 (the Act) and the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Regulations 2017 (the Regulations).
Some regulations allow for the Secretary of the department to approve details that are not included in the Regulations.
Note: Details of matters that are ‘approved by the Secretary' may change from time to time, so be sure to refer to the current version.
The current Secretary Approvals were published in the following Victoria Government Gazettes:
- orthoptists, page 2020.
- Australian Ski Patrol Association Inc. qualified ski patroller, page 720
- dental hygienists, dental therapists or oral health therapists, pp. 720-721
- any optometrist, page 721
- any podiatrist, page 722
- a midwife, page 722
- cardiac arrest, pp. 723 - 724
- Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine – Forensic Nurse Examiner, page 726
- Victorian Tuberculosis Control Program, page 727
- criteria for computer-generated prescriptions, pp. 727-728.
- dental assistants, page 2123.
- Life Saving Victoria lifeguards, page 2720.
- on-site emergency response workers at mine sites and power stations, page 2819.
- criteria for e-prescriptions, pp. 707-708.
- non-emergency patient transport and first aid services licence holders and persons they employ or engage.
- rural and isolated practice registered nurses, pp. 1-5.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health practitioners, pp. 3130-3131.
- nurse immunisers pp. 1-3
- pharmacist immunisers pp. 4-8.
- Approved Naloxone Providers and Approved Workers, pp. 532-533.
- Registered Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health practitioner immuniser, pp. 1132-1135.
- Erratum notice: Registered Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health practitioner immuniser, pp. 1252.
- community pharmacist statewide pilot, pp.1-5.
- nurse immuniser – SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) VACCINE, pp.1-3.
- pharmacist immuniser – SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) VACCINE, pp. 4-7.
Reviewed 24 November 2023