Support staff by designing spaces appropriate to their needs, located appropriately, with useful fixtures and fittings.
- Provide a quiet area for staff free from distractions where they can write or use documents, consult books and use computers.
- Provide a quiet, comfortable area for rest and relaxation, including a storage area for personal belongings.
- Change storage space to reduce staff time walking from one place to another to access equipment.
- Put storage areas and staff work areas where staff can clearly see residents.
- Disguise or conceal doorways to service areas.
- Make sure walking areas are safe, reducing time staff spend observing people.
- Get furniture and fittings appropriate to person-centred care to reduce injury and improve staff safety.
- Provide easy access to sheltered gardens so staff can readily accompany people outside, even in their beds, if desired.
Reviewed 22 February 2016