Department of Health
nurse with patient

Advice for frontline workers

If your normal work involves moving between health services, you can continue to do this to provide care and do your job.

But you must not go to work if you are unwell.

For more details, see:

  • Andrew Wilson, the Chief Medical Officer, speaks about the importance of staff completing declarations to consider their health before they start work
  • Duration: 1:17

Getting tested as a healthcare or aged care worker

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, get tested. When you get tested, tell the person testing you that you are a healthcare or aged care worker to ensure your test results are given priority.

For more information, please see Assessment and testing criteria for COVID-19.

A healthcare worker is a worker who is a regulated health professional. This includes:

  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health practice
  • Chinese medicine (acupuncturists, Chinese herbal medicine practitioners and Chinese herbal dispenser)
  • chiropractic
  • dental (dentists, dental specialists, dental hygienists, dental prosthetists, dental therapists and oral health therapists)
  • medical
  • medical radiation practice (diagnostic radiographers, nuclear medicine technologists and radiation therapists)
  • nursing and midwifery (registered nurses, enrolled nurses, nurse practitioners, and midwives)
  • occupational therapy
  • optometry
  • pharmacy
  • physiotherapy
  • podiatry
  • psychology.

Mental health resources

It's important to look after your mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic.

More information on looking after your mental health is available on Mental health resources - COVID-19External Link on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Victoria website.

International healthcare professionals moving to Victoria

  • Are you fully vaccinated and looking for job opportunities in the Victorian health system?
  • Are you ready to return home to Australia or eager for a new adventure?
  • Would you like to combine lifestyle with career choice?

We continue to support health professionals who are currently located overseas and are seeking to work in health services across metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.

For more information and to check your eligibility, see Support for international healthcare professionals.

Reviewed 29 December 2022

Was this page helpful?