- All Blood Matters reports and journal articles are available including six-monthly Blood Management Committee reports and peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Archived publications from 2003 to 2008 are available on request.
Reports and journal articles are available for use within Victorian health services to help improve practice regarding blood and blood product management.
Blood Matters produces a six-monthly report for presentation at your Blood Management Committee. Other reports and clinical comparative audits, along with government policy guidelines, are also available.
The Blood Matters team has published articles in leading peer-reviewed journals, available on this page.
Reports, articles and government policies relating to transfusion
- Blood transfusion consent audit report: This audit was conducted in 2 parts in 2022; part A was a consent policy review; part B was retrospective medical record audit of up to 30 patients who had received a blood component transfusion:
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Audit Report: a survey on the implementation and the use of an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) specific to blood management and transfusion practice report
- 2020 Preoperative anaemia assessment and management in elective surgical procedures survey report
- General practice audit of preoperative anaemia report 2019
- RhD immunoglobulin (Ig) in obstetrics audit report 2018
- The use of O RhD negative red blood cells according to guidelines audit report 2018
- Serious transfusion incident reports (STIR) are available on the STIR page
- Snapshot audit of minimal volume blood sampling to prevent iatrogenic anaemia 2017
- Clinical audit of preoperative anaemia assessment and management in elective surgical procedures 2015
- Clinical audit of elective red blood cell use in medical, surgical and obstetric adult patients 2014
- Audit of acute transfusion reaction management and knowledge 2013
- Consent for blood transfusion audit 2012 report
- Comparative audit of blood transfusion policy and practice 2011
- Getting important information to Rh (D) negative women from CALD communities-a pilot project 2009-11
- Report on blood storage and handling survey 2010
- Clinical audit of platelet use in Victorian and Tasmanian hospitals, 2009
- Patient blood management in elective orthopaedic surgery 2009 Revised
- Evaluation of the hospital blood management program - Transfusion nursing in Victoria 2003 - 2006 - Final Report May 2007
- A summary. Towards Safer Transfusion Practice in Victorian Hospitals-Optimising the role of the transfusion nurse
- February 2023
- August 2022
- Tan M, Zacher N, French R, Borosak M, Lennard S, Le Viellez A, Benson S, Daly J (2022) ‘Guidance for transfusion management in patients receiving magrolimab therapy (anti-CD47 monoclonal ’, Internal Medicine Journal, 52: 2165-2171. doi.org/10.1111/imj.15934
- Crispin P, Akers C, Brown K, Delaforce A, Keegan A, King F, Ormerod A, and Verrall T (2022) 'A review of electronic medical records and safe transfusion practice for guideline ', Vox sanguinis, 117(6):761-768. doi:10.1111/vox.13254
- Deelen R, Costermans E, Moss R, and Akers C (2019) 'Disaster planning: the role of the transfusion ', Vox Sanguinis, 14:98-103. doi.org/10.1111/voxs.12454
- Bielby L, Moss R, Mo A, McQuilten Z, and Wood E (2019) 'The role of the transfusion practitioner in the management of ', Vox Sanguinis, 15:82-90. doi: 10.1111/voxs. 12523
- Akers C, Savoia H, Kane S, Crispin P, Keegan A, Wood E, Glazebrook B, Bielby L, and Davis AK (2019) 'Misinterpretation of blood group and antibody screen leading to serious errors in RhD immunoglobulin administration: A report on first two years of data from Serious Transfusion Incident Reporting ', The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 59:161-164. doi:10.1111/ajo.12889
- Bielby L, Moss RL, (2018), Patient blood management and the importance of the Transfusion Practitioner role to embed this into ,Transfusion Medicine, 2:98-106. doi:10.1111/tme.12526
- Bielby L, Peterson D, Spigiel T (2018) 'Transfusion education for nurses and transfusion practitioners in ', Vox Sanguinis, 13:259-267. doi:10.1111/voxs.12409
- Bielby L, Haberfield A, Kelsey G, Kay S (2018) 'The role of the transfusion practitioner in the multidisciplinary ', Vox Sanguinis, 13:338-346. doi:10.1111/voxs.12408
- Hennessy C, Borosak M, Bielby L, Stevenson LJ, Glazebrook B (2016) 'Documentation of consent for blood ', Internal Medicine Journal, 46(12):1443–1446. doi:10.1111/imj.13276
- Bielby L, Moss, R, Deelan, R (2016) 'The role of the transfusion ', Transfusion Today, 109:64.
- Bielby L, Akers C, Francis S, Darby S, Campbell L, Hollis L, Quested B, Hogan C (2016) 'The role of the transfusion safety coordinator in ', Vox Sanguinis, 11(1):118–125. doi:10.1111/voxs.12201
- Bielby L, Akers C, Perillo J, Sieradzki N, Pollock C, Nasra F, Polack C, McGregor S, Bastin K, and Pearse B (2014) 'Patient blood management initiatives in the perioperative setting', ACORN: The Journal of Perioperative Nursing in Australia, 27(4):8–14. doi.10.3316/informit.871157121374829
- Anderson MA, Glazebrook B, Cutts B, Stevenson L, Bielby L, Borosak M (2013) 'When do we transfuse cryoprecipitate?', Internal Medicine Journal 43(8): 847–958. doi:10.1111/imj.12104
- Bielby L. (2012) The role of the transfusion practitioner. International survey of Clinical Transfusion practice improvement programs 2011. Transfusion Today 90:5
- Bielby L, Stevenson L, Wood E (2012) 'Clinical Transfusion practice improvement programs in Australia', Transfusion Today, 90:6
- Bielby L, Stevenson L, Wood E (2011) 'The role of the transfusion nurse in the hospital and blood centre' International Society of Blood Transfusion Science Series, 6:270–276. doi.10.1111/j.1751-2824.2011.01537.x
- Miller K, Akers C, Davis AK, Wood E, Hennessy C, Bielby L (2015) 'The evolving role of the transfusion practitioner', Transfusion Medicine Reviews, 29(2):138–144. doi:10.1016/j.tmrv.2014.08.005
- Department of Human Services Victoria: Victorian health service’s Emergency Blood Management Plan (EBMP)
- Traceability requirements of blood and blood products - January 2021
replaces the Department of Health and Human Service Circular 01/2018 – Health Service Blood Management Committees
- replaces the Department of Health and Human Service Circular 01/2018 – Health Service Blood Management Committees
Publications from 2003 to 2008 include:
- 2008: Transfusion Governance Survey Report
- 2007: Second report of the Victorian Better Safer Transfusion (BeST) Program 2
- 2006-07: Serious Transfusion Incident Report
- 2006: Better Safer Transfusion (BeST) Serious Transfusion Incident Reporting (STIR) system pilot
- 2006: Victoria's Better Safer Transfusion (BeST) Program report
- 2005: Towards Better Safer Blood Transfusion - A report for the Australian Council for Safety and Quality in Health Care
- 2004: Blood Matters Improvement Guide Final Report
- 2003: Blood Matters Project - results of consumer study.
These are available on request from the Blood Matters program.
Reviewed 26 April 2023