Department of Health

Key messages

  • A use licence is required to operate (use) radiation sources/units within Victoria.
  • This page details the information and the form required for a surgeon to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of a fluoroscopic X-ray unit.
  • Supporting documents are required when submitting an application for a use licence.
  • You are not authorised to use a radiation source until you receive your licence certificate.


A use licence allows an individual to use specific types of a radiation sources for a specific purpose. Failure to hold the required use licence is an offence under the Radiation Act 2005.

This page details the information and the form required for a surgeon to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of a fluoroscopic X-ray unit.

Applicants seeking a licence to use radiation sources must meet certain prerequisites prior to being issued with a use licence.

Do you need a use licence ?

Before you apply for a radiation use licence read the full exemptions to check if you are exempt from the requirement to hold a use licence.

If you are unsure whether you require a licence, we recommend that, prior to lodging an application, you email the department via with a description of your proposed activity to clarify your licensing requirements.

Prerequisites: what information do I include with my application?

All of the following information must be included with your application (electronic files can be attached with your application).

Occupation Apparatus Prerequisites
Surgeons Fluoroscopic X-ray unit
  • Must be registered as a medical specialist in the specialty of Surgery with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) and
  • Must have successfully completed a recognised short course in radiation safety with respect to fluoroscopic equipment.
    (Recognised Courses MED1)

Recognised Training Courses

Radiation Apparatus Course Number Course Title Course Provider / Contact Details
Fluoroscopic X-ray unit MED1-1 The Safer Use of Fluoroscopy Units Hospital Medical Physics Group
MED1-2 Ionising Radiation Safety and Mobile Image Intensifiers

SGS Australian
10/585 Blackburn Rd
Notting Hill VIC 3168

Phone:(03)9574 3361
Website: Link

Mini C-arm X-ray unit MED1-3 Radiation Safety in the Use of Mini C Arm X-ray Equipment

Gordon and Jocelyn Mackenzie
Radiation Safety Training Specialists

13 Cassandra Cres.
Phone: (02) 9520 6340
Mobile: 0409 600 646

MED1-4 Radiation Protection Course: Low Power Fluoroscopic Devices in Orthopaedic and Plastic Surgery Dr Kent Gregory
SA Radiation Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0410 388 018
Web: Link
MED1-5 Radiation Awareness for Mobile Fluoroscopy (Mini-C) Operation

Hologic Australia and New Zealand

Level 3, 2 Lyon Park Road,
Macquarie Park NSW 2113
Mobile: 0410 045 306
Web: www.hologic.comExternal Link

Mutual recognition

A person who is registered in an equivalent occupation in another state or territory or New Zealand may be entitled to apply to the department under the Commonwealth Mutual Recognition Act 1992 for a licence to use radiation sources in Victoria related to their occupations.

See the mutual recognition arrangements page for more information.

Conditions of licence and other relevant documents

Compliance with the Code of Practice for Radiation Protection in the Medical Applications of Ionizing RadiationExternal Link is a condition of use licences issued to surgeons and applicants must be familiar with these requirements.

Licence durations, licence fees, assessment process and timeframes

See the general information on use licences section for more information.

Apply for a use licence or apply to vary an existing licence

Before you apply for a use licence it is important that you read the FAQ’s about the new licensing portal to assist you with lodging an application.

Once you familiarise yourself with the prerequisites for licensing you can apply using the licensing portal.

Select your occupation and then choose the radiation sources that you would like to be authorised to use. You will then be asked to upload the required prerequisites and pay the prescribed fee with either credit card (preferred) or BPay. There is no fee applicable to vary your use licence.

Apply for a use licence or apply to vary a licence

Reviewed 11 December 2023


Contact us

Our phone service is available Monday to Friday, from 9.00am to 1.00pm or we can be contacted via email. 

Radiation Safety Department of Health GPO Box 4057, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Was this page helpful?