On this page
- Key messages
- Do you need a use licence?
- Prerequisites: what information do I include with my application?
- Mutual recognition
- Conditions of licence and other relevant documents
- Licence durations, licence fees, assessment process and timeframes
- Apply for a use licence or apply to vary an existing licence
- A use licence is required to operate (use) radiation sources/units within Victoria.
- This page details the information and the form required for an individual to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of various radiation sources.
- Supporting documents are required when submitting an application for a use licence.
- You are not authorised to use a radiation source until you receive your licence certificate.
A use licence allows an individual to use specific types of a radiation sources for a specific purpose. Failure to hold the required use licence is an offence under the Radiation Act 2005.
This page details the information and the form required for an individual to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of various radiation sources.
Applicants seeking a licence to use radiation sources must meet certain prerequisites prior to being issued with a use licence.
Do you need a use licence?
Before you apply for a radiation use licence read the full exemptions to check if you are exempt from the requirement to hold a use licence.
If you are unsure whether you require a licence, we recommend that, prior to lodging an application, you email the department with a description of your proposed activity to clarify your licensing requirements.
Prerequisites: what information do I include with my application?All of the following information must be included with your application (electronic files can be attached with your application).
|Education and Research ||Radiation sources (various)|
A person who is registered in an equivalent occupation in another state or territory or New Zealand may be entitled to apply to the department under the Commonwealth Mutual Recognition Act 1992 for a licence to use radiation sources in Victoria related to their occupations.
See the mutual recognition arrangements page for more information.
Conditions of licence and other relevant documents
Applicants who wish to be authorised to expose humans for the purpose of research or education must select the 'Medical' sector on the application form, and ensure that both the purpose and radiation source type are described accurately.
Applications for a licence to use radiation sources for the purpose of education and research will be assessed on an individual (case-by-case) basis. Applicants are encouraged to provide comprehensive curriculum vitae (resume) to support their application.
Licence durations, licence fees, assessment process and timeframes
See the general information on use licences section for more information.
Apply for a use licence or apply to vary an existing licence
Before you apply for a use licence it is important that you read the FAQ’s about the new licensing portal to assist you with lodging an application.
Once you familiarise yourself with the prerequisites for licensing you can apply using the licensing portal. Select your occupation and then choose the radiation sources that you would like to be authorised to use.
You will then be asked to upload the required prerequisites and pay the prescribed fee with either credit card (preferred) or BPay. There is no fee applicable to vary your use licence.
Reviewed 11 January 2019