Department of Health

General information about use licences in Victoria

Key messages

  • We issue a use licence to a person, authorising them to use particular radiation sources.
  • To apply for a use licence you need to complete and submit an online application formExternal Link .
  • For specific types of practices supporting documents must be submitted with the application for a use licence.
  • There are prescribed fees for licences.

Purpose of a use licence

The purpose of a use licence is to ensure that those who use specific types of radiation sources meet certain minimum standards of competency when using the particular radiation source.

A use licence is issued under the Radiation Act 2005External Link and allows an individual to use specific radiation sources. It can only be issued to individuals ('natural persons') not companies.

A use licence authorises the holder to use specified types of radiation sources for a specified purpose.

The types of radiation sources which may be authorised for use include:

  • radioactive material
  • ionising radiation apparatus
  • sealed source devices.

It is compulsory to hold a radiation use licence prior to using a specified radiation source. Failure to hold a use licence is an offence under the Act.

Exemptions from use licence requirements

Some licensing exemptions have been made by the Secretary of our department to exempt persons from the licensing requirements in certain circumstances.

Before you apply for a radiation use licence read the full exemptions to check if you are exempt from the requirement to hold a use licence. If you are unsure whether you require a licence, we recommend that, prior to lodging an application, you email with a description of your proposed activity to clarify your licensing requirements.


Applicants seeking a licence to use radiation sources must meet certain prerequisites prior to being issued with a use licence. The prerequisites that must be satisfied depend on the type of radiation source for which the applicant is seeking a licence to use and the applicant’s profession.

Applicants seeking to apply for a use licence must demonstrate to us that they have appropriate knowledge of the principles and practices of radiation safety and protection, and experience applicable to the activities propose to be carried out under the use licence.

Documented evidence of qualifications, registrations and training to substantiate the prerequisites must be submitted with your application in order to receive your licence.

You may be asked to provide documented evidence about your:
  • professional qualifications
  • professional registration with a nationally recognised registration body such as, Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), or Veterinary Practitioners Registration Board of Victoria or equivalent
  • completion of a specific training course in relation to the radiation source you intend to use.

The Sector specific information section provides details on prerequisite requirements for occupations that require a use licence.

Applicants who cannot easily show that they meet the criteria, or where part or no criteria have been specified will be assessed on a case by case basis.

Applicants in this situation are encouraged to contact us to discuss their application and provide as much evidence as possible to demonstrate their eligibility for a use licence.

Licence duration

Use licences are issued for periods of one, two or three years. The applicant can choose which licence period they wish to apply for.

Assessment process and timeframe

Applications are initially checked for completeness, and that documented evidence of the relevant prerequisites have been submitted. The application is then allocated to an officer in our Radiation safety team for assessment.
The prescribed fees for use licences consist of:
  1. one-off application fee (for new applications)
  2. licence fee.

Use licence fees vary depending on the duration, with a discount for longer terms. There are no refunds once a licence is issued, so you may wish to consider whether a 1-, 2- or 3-year licence is best for your situation. Fees are automatically scheduled to increase on 1 July each year.

You must pay this prescribed fee before your application can assessed. If the application is approved, you will be notified by email and then you can download a copy of your licence certificate from the licensing portalExternal Link .

If the application is rejected, a letter will be sent within 14 days of the decision giving a statement of reasons for refusing to issue the licence and advice on how you may seek review of the Secretary's decision.

Mutual recognition

A person who is registered in an equivalent occupation in another state or territory or New Zealand may be entitled to apply to us under the Commonwealth Mutual Recognition Act 1992External Link for a licence to use radiation sources in Victoria related to their occupations.

For more information, see the mutual recognition arrangements page.

Application process

  • Step 1: Confirm whether you are required or are exempt from the requirement to hold a use licence, see Do you need a use licence.

    Step 2: If you need a use licence, read the prerequisite requirements for licensing for your sector.

    Step 3: Apply using the licensing portalExternal Link . Before you apply, it is important that you read the FAQ's about the new licensing portal to assist you with lodging an application.

    The licensing portal will ask you to select your occupation, once selected choose the radiation sources that you would like to be authorised to use. You will then be asked to upload the required prerequisites and pay the prescribed fee with either credit card (preferred) or by BPay. If you have difficulties with applying for a use licence using the licensing portal, please email

  • From time to time, a use licence holder may wish to make changes to their licence to vary the scope including:

    • the type of radiation sources they can use
    • the way in which they wish to use the sources.

    In these cases, the use licence holder must apply to us for a variation to the use licence from the licensing portalExternal Link . Before you apply to vary your use licence it is important that you read the FAQ’s about the new licencing portal to assist you with the application.

    The licence must be varied by us before the proposed changes to the radiation practice takes effect. There is no fee applicable to vary your use licence.

  • Before the expiry of your current use licence, you will be sent an email inviting you to register with the licensing portalExternal Link to renew your licence.

    Once registered on the licensing portal, your licence details will be matched to your account and then you will be able to renew your use licence. You will be asked to select your preferred licence period (1, 2 or 3 years) and to pay the prescribed licence renewal fee.

    If you do not see your use licence, do not apply for a new use licence, please email for assistance.

Licence fees and refunds

There are prescribed fees for licences, consisting of an application fee and licence fee.

There are no fees associated with applying for a variation to an existing licence or approval.

Fees are automatically scheduled to increase on 1 July each year in line with the Monetary Units Act 2005. See List of the prescribed fees for radiation licences.

We will refund the licence fee for an application that is refused or withdrawn prior to the issue of the licence. Application fees will not be refunded by us.
There are no refunds once a licence is issued. Detailed information can be found in the fee refund policy.

Online application form for a refund of a licensing fee paid - Radiation Act 2005External Link

Certificate format

A use licence issued by us consists of:

  • a title or cover page
  • a schedule which, as a minimum, describes the type of radiation source and the purpose for which it is authorised. The schedule contains the conditions that have been placed on the licence, which may require compliance with relevant code of practice.

Public register

The public register allows a person to search for either a radiation licence number or person's name to check the status of their radiation use licence. Details of a use licence holder will only remain on this register for a maximum period of 60 days after the date of expiry.

Who needs a management licence?

If a person intends to use a radiation source then they must apply for a use licence enabling the use of a specific type of radiation source for a specific purpose.

The use of a radiation source without the required use licence is an offence under the Radiation Act 2005.

Whilst the individuals using radiation sources need to hold a use licence the organisation conducting the radiation practice needs to hold a management licence.

What is the difference between a management licence and use licence?

For example a dental practice requires a management licence to possess several dental X-ray units. Every individual at that practice who wishes to use those X-ray units needs to hold a use licence authorising that use.

Information privacy

The public use licence registerExternal Link can be used to confirm whether a particular person holds a radiation use licence (and certain additional details about that licence). However, due to our obligations under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014, we generally do not disclose any further information relating to a person's licence (beyond the details that are publicly available through the register) to anyone other than the licence holder.

For example, if a company wishes to view their employees' licences, the company should request their employees to provide copies of their licences. We generally would not provide a company with information about an employee's licence, or information related to another person or com

Reviewed 06 January 2023


Contact us

Our phone service is available Monday to Friday, from 9.00am to 1.00pm or we can be contacted via email. 

Radiation safety team Department of Health GPO Box 4057, Melbourne, VIC 3000

Was this page helpful?