Department of Health

Radiochemists or radiopharmaceutical scientists

Information about use licences for the use of unsealed radioactive material

Key messages

  • A use licence is required to operate (use) radiation sources/units within Victoria.
  • This page details the information and the form required for a radiochemist or radiopharmaceutical scientist to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of unsealed radioactive material.
  • Supporting documents are required when submitting an application for a use licence.
  • You are not authorised to use a radiation source until you receive your licence certificate.


A use licence allows an individual to use specific types of a radiation sources for a specific purpose. Failure to hold the required use licence is an offence under the Radiation Act 2005External Link .

This page details the information and the form required for a radiochemist or radiopharmaceutical scientist to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of unsealed radioactive material.

Applicants seeking a licence to use radiation sources must meet certain prerequisites prior to being issued with a use licence.

Do you need a use licence?

Before you apply for a radiation use licence read the full exemptions on the Do you need a use licence? page. You can check if you are exempt from the requirement to hold a use licence.

If you are unsure whether you require a licence, we recommend that, prior to lodging an application, that you email the department at
with a description of your proposed activity to clarify your licensing requirements.

Prerequisites: what information do I include with my application?

To support meeting the prerequisites, documented evidence of the following must be submitted:

  • qualifications,
  • registration, and
  • training.

All of the following information must be included with your application (electronic files can be attached with your application):

Occupation Apparatus Prerequisites
Radiochemist or Radiopharmaceutical Scientist Unsealed radioactive material
  • Must have completed a recognised course (IND3) in radiation safety appropriate for unsealed radioactive material, and
  • Must provide evidence of training in the preparation of radiopharmaceuticals.

Recognised training course

Course Number Course Title Course Provider/Contact Details
IND3-1 Radiation Safety in the Laboratory - 2-day course Mr Darren Billingsley
DBH Radiation Pty Ltd
Phone: (03) 9687 3167
Mobile: 0418 804 805
Web: DBH RadiationExternal Link
IND3-2 Unsealed radioactive substances in laboratories and workshops Dr Kent Gregory
SA Radiation Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0410 388 018
Web: Link
IND3-3 Radiation Safety for Laboratory Workers – X-Rays and Isotopes Tim Hargreaves and Anthony Barber
Phone: 07 3391 1718

Important information about licences

Conditions of licence and other relevant documents

Compliance with the Mandatory radiation safety requirements for use licence holders is a condition of use licences issued to radiochemists or radiopharmaceutical scientists and applicants must be familiar with these requirements.

Licence durations, licence fees, assessment process and timeframes

See the general information on use licences section for more information.

Mutual recognition

Already registered in another state, territory or in New Zealand?

If so, you may be entitled to apply for a licence from the department, to use radiation sources in Victoria (related to your occupation), under under the Commonwealth Mutual Recognition Act 1992.

See the Mutual recognition arrangements for radiation use licences page for more information.

Apply for a use licence or apply to vary an existing licence

Steps to take when varying or applying for a licence

Before you apply for a use licence it is important that you read the FAQs about the new licensing portal to assist you with lodging an application.  

Once you familiarise yourself with the prerequisites for licensing you can apply using the licensing portal. 


  1. Select your occupation and then choose the radiation sources that you would like to be authorised to use.
  2. You will then be asked to upload information supporting your fulfillment of the required prerequisites
  3. Pay the prescribed fee with either credit card (preferred) or BPay.

Note: There is no fee applicable to vary your use licence.

Apply for a use licence or apply to vary a licence

Reviewed 03 October 2023


Contact us

Our phone service is available Monday to Friday, from 9.00am to 1.00pm or we can be contacted via email. 

Radiation Safety Department of Health GPO Box 4057, Melbourne, VIC 3000

Was this page helpful?