Department of Health

Key messages

  • A use licence is required to operate (use) radiation sources/units within Victoria.
  • This page details the information and the form required for borehole loggers to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of a borehole logging radiation source.
  • Supporting documents are required when submitting an application for a use licence.
  • You are not authorised to use a radiation source until you receive your licence certificate.


A use licence allows an individual to use specific types of a radiation sources for a specific purpose. Failure to hold the required use licence is an offence under the Radiation Act 2005.

This page details the information and the form required for borehole loggers to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of a borehole logging radiation source.

Applicants seeking a licence to use radiation sources must meet certain prerequisites prior to being issued with a use licence.

Do you need a use licence?

Before you apply for a radiation use licence read the full exemptions to check if you are exempt from the requirement to hold a use licence.

If you are unsure whether you require a licence, we recommend that, prior to lodging an application, you email the department with a description of your proposed activity to clarify your licensing requirements.

Prerequisites: what information do I include with my application?

All of the following information must be included with your application (electronic files can be attached with your application).

Apparatus Prerequisites
Borehole logging radiation sources
  • Must have successfully completed in-house training in the use of borehole logging equipment or a recognised training course (Recognised course IND5-1)

Recognised Training Courses

Course Number Course Title Course Provider/Contact Details
Radiation Safety Training Course - Borehole logging

Dr Kent Gregory
SA Radiation Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0410 388 018
Web: Link

Mutual recognition

A person who is registered in an equivalent occupation in another state or territory or New Zealand may be entitled to apply to the department under the Commonwealth Mutual Recognition Act 1992 for a licence to use radiation sources in Victoria related to their occupations.

See the mutual recognition arrangements section for more information.

Conditions of licence and other relevant documents

Compliance with the NHMRC Code of Practice for the safe use of sealed radioactive sources in borehole logging (1989)External Link , is a condition of use licences issued to borehole loggers and applicants must be familiar with these requirements.

Licence durations, licence fees, assessment process and timeframes

See the general information on use licences section for more information.

Apply for a use licence or apply to vary an existing licence

Before you apply for a use licence it is important that you read the FAQ's about the new licensing portal to assist you with lodging an application.

Once you familiarise yourself with the prerequisites for licensing you can apply using the licensing portal. Select your occupation and then choose the radiation sources that you would like to be authorised to use. You will then be asked to upload the required prerequisites and pay the prescribed fee with either credit card (preferred) on BPay. There is no fee applicable to vary your use licence.

Apply for use licence or apply to vary a licence

Reviewed 17 April 2018


Contact details

Our phone service is available Monday to Friday, from 9.00am to 1.00pm or we can be contacted via email. 

Radiation Safety Department of Health GPO Box 4057, Melbourne, VIC 3000

Was this page helpful?