- A use licence is required to operate (use) radiation sources/units within Victoria.
- This page details the information and the form required for a nuclear medicine technologist to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of a radiation source.
- Supporting documents are required when submitting an application for a use licence.
- You are not authorised to use a radiation source until you receive your licence certificate.
This page details the information and the form required for a nuclear medicine technologist to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of the following radiation sources:
- unsealed radioactive material used in nuclear medicine
- Computed Tomography (CT) unit for attenuation correction and organ localisation
- Computed Tomography (CT) unit for Diagnostic Radiography
- bone mineral densitometer.
Applicants seeking a licence to use radiation sources must meet certain prerequisites prior to being issued with a use licence.
Do you need a use licence?
If you are unsure whether you require a licence, we recommend that, prior to lodging an application, you the department with a description of your proposed activity to clarify your licensing requirements.
Prerequisites: what information do I include with my application?
All of the following information must be included with your application (electronic files can be attached with your application).
|Unsealed radioactive material used in nuclear medicine |
Computed Tomography (CT) unit for attenuation correction and organ localisation
|Computed Tomography (CT) unit for Diagnostic Radiography |
|Bone mineral densitometer|
Recognised Training Course
A person who is registered in an equivalent occupation in another state or territory or New Zealand may be entitled to apply to the department under the Commonwealth Mutual Recognition Act 1992 for a licence to use radiation sources in Victoria related to their occupations.
Conditions of licence and other relevant documents
Licence durations, licence fees, assessment process and timeframes
Apply for a use licence or apply to vary an existing licence
Once you familiarise yourself with the prerequisites for licensing you can apply using the licensing portal.
Select your occupation and then choose the radiation sources that you would like to be authorised to use. You will then be asked to upload the required prerequisites and pay the prescribed fee with either credit card (preferred) or BPay. There is no fee applicable to vary your use licence.
Reviewed 09 October 2019