Department of Health

Industrial radiographers

Information about use licences for industrial radiography sealed source apparatus and/or industrial radiography X-ray units

Key messages

  • A use licence is required to operate (use) radiation sources/units within Victoria.
  • This page details the information and the form required for an industrial radiographer to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of an industrial radiography sealed source apparatus and/or an industrial radiography X-ray unit.
  • Please read all preliminary information on this page before applying for a licence (see box on this page).
  • Supporting documents are required when submitting an application for a use licence.
  • You are not authorised to use a radiation source until you receive your licence certificate.


A use licence allows an individual to use specific types of a radiation sources for a specific purpose. Failure to hold the required use licence is an offence under the Radiation Act 2005.

This page details the information and the form required for an industrial radiographer to apply for or vary an existing use licence in relation to the use of an industrial radiography sealed source apparatus and /or industrial radiography X-ray unit.

Applicants seeking a licence to use radiation sources must meet certain prerequisites prior to being issued with a use licence.

Do you need a use licence?

Before you apply for a radiation use licence read the full exemptions to check if you are exempt from the requirement to hold a use licence.

If you are unsure whether you require a licence, we recommend that, prior to lodging an application, you email us via with a description of your proposed activity to clarify your licensing requirements.

Prerequisites: what information do I include with my application?

All of the following information must be included with your application (electronic files can be attached with your application).

Industrial radiography sealed source apparatus, Industrial radiography X-ray unit.Must have successfully completed a recognised course in radiation safety with respect to industrial radiography appropriate to the radiation sources proposed to be used. (Recognised Course IND1).

Recognised Training Courses

Course NumberCourse TitleCourse Provider/Contact Details
IND1-1Radiation safety for industrial radiographersATTAR (Advanced Technology Testing and Research)
Unit 1, 64 Bridge Road
Keysborough, VIC 3173
Phone: 03 9574 6144
IND1-2Radiation safety licence examination X-ray and gamma methodsAustralian NDT Leasing
Neil Joiner
69 Waterloo Road
Trafalgar, VIC 3824
Phone: 03 5633 3333
IND1-3Radiation safety for industrial radiographersBureau Veritas
Phone 03 5221 4322
Website: Link
IND1-4Radiation safety for industrial radiographersSafe Radiation Pty Ltd
Dr Riaz Akber
Unit 19, 8 Jude Court
Browns Plains, QLD 4118
Phone: 07 3800 9196
IND1-5Radiation safety (industrial radiography)SA Radiation Pty Ltd
Dr Kent Gregory
Mobile: 0410 388 018
Web: Link
IND1-6 Radiation safety for industrial radiographers Oceaneering
Steven Hewling
634 Karel Avenue, Perth, WA.
IND1-7Radiation safety for industrial radiographers (gamma and X-ray)Kuzer Technical
Mark Topliss
1 Tonsley Boulevard, Tonsley SA 5042
Mobile 0447 930 307
Phone/office 1300 199 086
IND1-8Radiation safety training for industrial radiographyLaboratories for Materials Advanced Testing Services (LMATS)
Miro Katouzi
Phone: 03 9399 9199
Phone: 03 9399 8145
IND1-9Radiation safety for industrial radiographers (gamma and X-ray)Radiation Training
Catherine Fleay
Mobile: +61 402 230 024

Mutual recognition

A person who is registered in an equivalent occupation in another state or territory or New Zealand may be entitled to apply to the department under the Commonwealth Mutual Recognition Act 1992 for a licence to use radiation sources in Victoria related to their occupations.

See the mutual recognition arrangements page for more information.

Conditions of licence and other relevant documents

Compliance with NHMRC Code of practice for the safe use of industrial radiography equipment (1989)External Link is a condition of use licences issued to industrial radiographers and applicants must be familiar with these requirements.

Licence durations, licence fees, assessment process and timeframes

See the general information on use licences section for more information.

Apply for a use licence or apply to vary an existing licence

Steps to take when varying or applying for a licence

Before you apply for a use licence it is important that you read the information page and the frequently asked questions about the new licensing portal to assist you with lodging an application.  

Once you familiarise yourself with the prerequisites for licensing you can apply using the licensing portal.  

Select your occupation and then choose the radiation sources that you would like to be authorised to use. You will then be asked to upload the required prerequisites and pay the prescribed fee with either credit card (preferred) or BPay.

There is no fee applicable to vary your use licence.

Apply for use licence or apply to vary a licence

Reviewed 28 December 2023


Contact us

Our phone service is available Monday to Friday, from 9.00am to 1.00pm or we can be contacted via email. 

Radiation Safety Department of Health GPO Box 4057, Melbourne, VIC 3000

Was this page helpful?