In early 2023 each Victorian Government department launched the Good food policy to shift the way food and drinks are ordered for staff meetings, functions, and events. The policy commits Victorian Government departments to delivering health, social and environmental outcomes through food and drink purchasing and we are encouraging organisations across Victoria to do the same. On this page organisations can access:
- a Healthy and more sustainable food procurement policy template
- a Guide to healthy and more sustainable food procurement
The policy template and guide have been developed to support Victorian organisations wanting to adopt food and drink procurement practices that not only support and promote healthy eating, but also benefit the environment and the wider Victorian community.
Victorian caterers can access information about the Good food policy and how they can position their businesses to meet increased demand for healthier food and drinks and more inclusive and sustainable business practices via the Information for caterers section below.
Catering for good directory
The Department of Health has funded the (HEAS) to develop the to help Victorian organisations access healthier and more sustainable catering options. Organisations can search the directory map to find catering businesses that have:
- assessed their menu options using FoodChecker – allowing for green and amber menu items to be showcased on the directory
- identified their social benefit supplier status, where relevant
- identified their sustainable business practices.
Information for caterers
Victorian Government departments have changed the way that they purchase food and drinks for the benefit of people and the planet. The Update to Victorian Government department food purchasing: Information for caterers provides further information about these changes and how catering providers can position their businesses to meet increased demand for healthier food and drinks and more inclusive and sustainable business practices.
- If you would like more information about healthy and more sustainable food procurement or Victorian Government department Good food policies, please contact .
- If you would like more information about the Healthy Eating Advisory Service, visit the or phone .
- If you would like more information about climate change and health, visit the department’s .
Reviewed 26 July 2023