A compensable patient is a person who in respect of an injury or disease:
- is entitled to claim damages or compensation under motor vehicle third-party insurance (in Victoria, the Transport Accident Commission)
- is entitled to claim damages or compensation under worker's compensation (in Victoria, WorkSafe)
- has an entitlement to claim under public liability or common law damages
- is an eligible Department of Veterans' Affairs patient
- is another compensable patient – for example, armed forces personnel and seamen with direct billing arrangements.
Transport Accident Commission patients
Information about the provision and payment of a range of public hospital services for patients who have had an accident covered by the Transport Accident Commission.
Admission criteria and fees descriptions for patients accessing public health services through Worksafe
Department of Veterans' Affairs patients
Eligible veterans can be compensated for some of the fees and charges they incur in public health services.
Reviewed 11 September 2023