- Nurses may possess and administer tuberculosis vaccine (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin vaccine – BCG vaccine) and skin tests (purified protein derivative – PPD) under certain conditions.
- Nurses may also possess and administer adrenaline for the treatment of anaphylactic reactions to the BCG vaccine and PPD.
Victorian tuberculosis control program
Approval under regulation 161 Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Regulations 2017
This approval applies to:
A nurse who is registered in Division 1 of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia register and who is approved by the medical director of the Victorian tuberculosis program at Melbourne Health in vaccine and skin testing administration and technique and as having satisfactorily completed a course in the management of acute reactions associated with vaccination.
The nurse may possess and administer the Schedule 4 poisons:
- Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccine for administration as recommended in the Australian Immunisation Handbook published by the Commonwealth Department of Health.
- Purified Protein Derivative (PPD) Human, for Tuberculin Skin Testing.
- Adrenaline for the treatment of anaphylactic reactions to the BCG vaccine and PPD.
The following circumstances apply:
- the nurse is employed by Melbourne Health to work in the Victorian Tuberculosis Program.
- the Victorian Tuberculosis Program medical director or designated Melbourne Health medical officer is available to provide advice to the nurse on the use of the Schedule 4 poisons, and
- the nurse administers the Schedule 4 poisons in:
- the performance of his or her duties with the Victorian Tuberculosis Program at Melbourne Health,
- accordance with the edition of the Australian Immunisation Handbook that is current at the time of the administration, and
- accordance with any guidelines issued by the Department of Health or the medical director of the Victorian Tuberculosis Program at Melbourne Health.
This approval supersedes any previous approval for Tuberculosis program nurses.
Reviewed 08 October 2015