The 2017 Victorian Advance Care Planning Forum featured a series of workshops and presentations, focusing on Victorian advance care planning initiatives and the implementation of the Medical Treatment Planning and Decisions Act 2016. The forum was facilitated by a range of consumer, legal, medical and health experts.
Clinical implications, including persons lacking capacity for ACP
This presentation discusses the clinical implications of the Medical Treatment Planning and Decisions Act and the organisational changes health services will need to consider prior to it coming into effect on 12 March 2018. This presentation also discusses the clinical implications the Act will have when treating people without decision making capacity.
Presented by Dr Barbara Hayes, Clinical Lead - Advance Care Planning at Northern Health
Drafting and Interpreting Advance Care Directives
This presentation provides a series of scenarios discussing how a person's advance care directive should be interpreted in certain circumstances.
Presented by Claire McNamara, Senior Legal Officer at the Office of the Public Advocate
Medical Treatment Planning and Decisions Act 2016 - an introduction
This presentation provides an overview of the Medical Treatment Planning and Decisions Act 2016, including information related to values directives, instructional directives, appointing a medical treatment decision maker, appointing a support person and the new legal obligations introduced by the Act.
Presented by Dr John Chesterman, Manager of Policy and Education at the Office of the Public Advocate
'My family and my doctor will know what to do'
This presentation discusses the results of a survey asking people about their end of life care preferences. The survey gave respondents a hypothetical situation in which there was a 70% chance of death, a 25% chance of a poor outcome and a 5% chance of death, before asking them how certain they were about wanting treatment.
Presented by Dr Charlie Corke, Intensive Care Specialist at Barwon Health.
Obligations of Witnesses - Medical Treatment Planning and Decisions Act 2016
This presentation discusses the role of witnesses in relation to creating an advance care directive (for both adults and children) and appointing a medical treatment decision maker or support person. The presentation provides scenarios where the role of a witness may be unclear or complex.
Presented by Claire McNamara, Senior Legal Officer at the Office of the Public Advocate; Dr Barbara Hayes, Clinical Lead - Advance Care Planning at Northern Health; and Sonia Gardiner, Senior Medical Treatment Decision Maker at the Office of the Public Advocate.
Medical Treatment Planning and Decisions Act 2016 - Paediatric context: Advance directives for young people
This presentation discusses what the Medical Treatment Planning and Decisions Act 2016 provides for people under 18 in paediatric or adult settings, including when advance care planning for young people can be helpful and the challenges for implementation.
Presented by Associate Professor Jenny Hynson, Victorian Paediatric Palliative Care Program at the Royal Children's Hospital; and Professor Lynn Gillam, Children's Bioethics Centre at the Royal Children's Hospital.
- Date published
- 01 Feb 2018
- 6 documents, various sizes
- Available format
- PPT, PPTX
Reviewed 02 February 2018