- Since 2017 the Victorian legislation now gives all Victorians conceived through donor treatment procedures access to available identifying information about their donors.
- The Assisted Reproductive Treatment Amendment Act 2016 amended the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 2008 enabling these Victorians to access information about their genetic heritage.
- Applications for information from the donor conception registers are managed by the Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority (VARTA).
Access to donor information
In Victoria, people conceived through donor treatment procedures have the right to access available information about their donors on the donor conception register, the Central Register, regardless of when they were born, or their donor donated. Information may also be accessible from the Voluntary Register.
Since 1 March 2017, the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 2008 (the Act) has allowed all people conceived through these treatment procedures to access information about their donors without the need for donor consent, including those people conceived from a donation made before 1 January 1998.
Applying for information - for donors and descendents
Donors may also access information on the Central Register about their offspring conceived through donor treatment procedures, with the consent of the offspring.
Parents of people conceived through donor treatment may obtain information about the donor with the donor’s consent.
Descendants of people conceived through donor treatment procedures may also access information about the donor from the Central Register. Special rules apply to child applicants and applications about children.
VARTA’s powers and responsibilities
Guidelines issued by the Secretary of the Department of Health’s predecessor provide more information about VARTA’s powers and responsibilities in relation to:
- managing the donor conception registers, and
- undertaking inquiries to link parties (including requesting information and conducting searches).
Reviewed 28 September 2023