- Forensic nurse examiners are authorised to possess a single dose of azithromycin for administration under certain conditions.
Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine – Forensic Nurse Examiner (1 July 2010)
A nurse registered in Division 1 of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia register may possess and administer a single oral dose of the Schedule 4 drug azithromycin under the following circumstances:
- the nurse is employed or contracted by Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine (VIFM) to undertake forensic medical examinations
- a medical practitioner employed or contracted by VIFM is available to provide advice to the nurse on the use of the Schedule 4 drug and
- the nurse administers the Schedule 4 drug in:
- the performance of their duties as a forensic nurse examiner
- a designated Centre Against Sexual Assault Crisis Care Unit* providing services to adults
- accordance with a treatment protocol approved by VIFM
- accordance with any guideline issued by the Department of Health & Human Services.
Reviewed 08 October 2015