- The Koolin Balit: Aboriginal health workforce plan 2014–17 will deliver a Victorian Aboriginal health workforce that:
- reflects the aspirations of Aboriginal people
- focuses on unlocking our human capital and workforce capabilities.
- The plan identifies key workforce development priorities and initiatives to strengthen the cultural responsiveness of health services and the health workforce.
Aboriginal health workforce plan
In September 2014 the Secretary to the Department of Health & Human Services released Koolin Balit: Aboriginal health workforce plan 2014–17.
The plan identifies Victoria’s health workforce development priorities and the suite of initiatives that will ensure Aboriginal people have access to a range of career development and employment opportunities in health. Through the plan, Aboriginal people will have increased opportunities to enter or remain in the health workforce via a range of workforce development, recruitment and retention initiatives.
Key workforce development priorities and initiatives identified in the plan will strengthen the cultural responsiveness of health services and the health workforce. Implementation of these initiatives will lead to:
- more health services providing culturally responsive service delivery that meets the needs of the Aboriginal community
- progress on the department’s commitment to increase Aboriginal employment in Victorian public health services
- more Aboriginal people working and upskilling in clinical and non-clinical roles in mainstream and Aboriginal health services
- more Aboriginal people working across a broader range of health professions in professional and clinical roles that include medicine, nursing, allied health, primary health, health promotion, management and leadership roles
- more career pathway, traineeship and cadetship opportunities
- improved human resources infrastructure, supervision, recruitment and retention within Aboriginal-controlled community health organisations.
To achieve this, the Aboriginal health workforce plan implements the priorities under Koolin Balit: Victorian Government strategic directions for Aboriginal health 2012–2022, which sets out the following key actions:
- Enabler 1: Improving the data and evidence to improve health service planning and delivery for Aboriginal Victorians
- Enabler 2: Strengthening Aboriginal organisations
- Enabler 3: Improving cultural responsiveness of mainstream health workforces and health services.
Reviewed 24 November 2021