- The Palliative Care Advice is a phone-based service for anyone seeking access to specialist guidance and advice for those living with a life-limiting illness and those who support them.
- Motor Neurone Disease Association provides support for people living with motor neurone disease.
- The Statewide Specialist Bereavement provides bereavement counselling, builds capacity for the health and community services, and facilitates leadership for the bereavement sector.
- Palliative care research in Victoria is primarily conducted through selected academic centres.
- Palliative Care is the peak body for palliative care services in Victoria.
Statewide palliative care services provide specialist advice and support in developing workforce capacity in particular areas of expertise.
Palliative Care Advice Service
The Palliative Care Advice is a phone-based service for anyone seeking access to specialist guidance and advice for those living with a life-limiting illness and those who support them.
The service is for family, friends and neighbours as well as all healthcare workers.
Motor Neurone Disease Association
Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA) provides family support, including needs assessment, referral and equipment; community and professional education activities; and support for generalist providers who are caring for people living with motor neurone disease.
Statewide Specialist Bereavement Service
The Statewide Specialist Bereavement Service is operated by the Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement.
The SSBS provides specialist bereavement counselling, builds the capacity of generalist health and community services and facilitates leadership, quality and health promotion for the bereavement sector.
For further information, see the Statewide services role statement available to download from this page.
Palliative care research in Victoria is predominantly conducted through the following institutions, each of which undertakes research and education to help improve the quality of care for people with a life-threatening illness.
- Centre for Palliative : a collaborative of The University of Melbourne and auspiced by St Vincent’s Health, which has a research and training focus on family-centred palliative care, psychosocial care, symptom management and service delivery.
- Palliative Care : auspiced by La Trobe University, which has a research focus on public health, pastoral care, sociological studies and supportive care.
The Palliative Care Research Network Victoria has been established to progress statewide research priorities. For more information, see the Academic centres role statement available to download from this page.
Palliative Care Victoria
Palliative Care Victoria is the peak body for palliative care services in Victoria. PCV develops and provides information to people living with life-threatening illnesses and their families and advocates for the provision of high-quality palliative care in Victoria.
For more information, see the Peak body - Palliative Care Victoria role statement available to download from this page.
Statewide reports and resources
Current palliative care reports and resources include:
- After-hours palliative care framework
- After-hours palliative care pilot projects evaluation report
- Palliative care workforce study
- Motor neurone disease and palliative care - interim report on the MND Pathway Project
- Disability Residential Services Palliative Care Guide - April 2010
- Rural Palliative Care Medical Purchasing Fund evaluation
- Pathways for care in the last days of life - a review of current utilisation in Victoria - November 2009.
Reports and resources
Reviewed 08 December 2021