Department of Health

Education and training – enrolled nurses

Key messages

  • To become an enrolled nurse, you need to complete a Diploma of Nursing offered by a TAFE or registered training organisation
  • You can study full time, part time or do a traineeship.

Diploma of Nursing

To become an enrolled nurse, you need to complete a Diploma of Nursing, which:

  • is offered at Victorian TAFEs or registered training organisations
  • can be undertaken either as full-time or part-time studies or as a traineeship
  • may be government-subsidised, where students will pay a small administration fee, or it may be full fee-paying.

More information about courses and qualifications for an enrolled nurse

To find out more:

  • see the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) website for a list of accredited programs
  • search the TAFE Courses Directory to find out where these courses are available
  • see the national competency standards for enrolled nurses, courses and registration page on the NMBA website
  • download the factsheet in the documents section for information about traineeships
  • see the page on enrolled nurse conversion.


Missing media item.

Reviewed 09 September 2015


Contact details

Nursing and Midwifery Workforce

Was this page helpful?