Department of Health

What is automatic mutual recognition?

Automatic mutual recognition (AMR) allows a person who is licenced or registered for an occupation in one jurisdiction to be considered registered to perform the same activities in another jurisdiction, without the need to go through further application processes or pay additional registration fees.

AMR aims to make it easier for workers who need to be licensed or registered for their job to work in another state and territory.

When will automatic mutual recognition be available?

AMR for occupational licences will be available from 1 July 2021 in certain states and territories. 

Victoria entered the scheme on 1 July 2021. Other states will join in coming months.

The Commonwealth Government have advised that, in addition to Victoria:

  • NSW, ACT and the NT entered the scheme on or about 1 July 2021. If you work in one of these states or territories, you may be able to use AMR to work in one of the other listed states or territories.
  • Tasmania entered the scheme on 22 December 2021.
  • South Australia will enter the scheme on 1 February 2022.
  • QLD and WA have committed to entering the scheme soon.

How will it work?

  • The work you are licensed to undertake in your home state, you may now be able to do in other states and territories without the need to apply and pay fees for a second licence.
  • AMR means that workers who need to be licensed or registered for their job in their home state can apply for and accept work opportunities in another state or territory more easily.
  • AMR makes it easier for licensed or registered workers to apply for and take up work opportunities in another state or territory.
  • AMR provides safeguards to maintain standards and protect consumers, workers and others.

Who is eligible for AMR?

Victorian pest control technicians are generally eligible, but you will need to check that the other jurisdiction has fully entered the AMR scheme before you start work in the second jurisdiction. Some jurisdictions are entering the scheme on this date but have exempted pest control licences from AMR for a period of time to enable work to be completed to prepare for the changes.

What does this mean?

If Victoria is your home state, you hold a current Victorian pest control technician licence and you wish to work interstate, AMR is currently available in:

  • Northern Territory
  • ACT.

If your home is outside Victoria, you hold a current licence to undertake pest control activities and you wish to work in Victoria then AMR is currently available only to residents of:

  • Northern Territory
  • NSW
  • ACT
  • Tasmania
  • South Australia (from 1 February 2022).

Additional conditions for workers who wish to operate in Victoria using AMR

Workers must hold a licence or registration in their home state. You must notify the Victorian Department of Health Pesticide Safety Team prior to commencing work in Victoria.

Your scope of work in Victoria is generally limited to the scope of work in your home jurisdiction.

You must also comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and associated Regulations.

What happens if my licence in my home jurisdiction expires?

If your home jurisdiction licence expires then AMR no longer applies in any other jurisdiction.

What happens if I am subject to disciplinary, civil, or criminal actions in relation to the activity authorised by my licence?

Non-compliance against state or territory laws or licence conditions on a home state or territory licence/registration can lead to suspension or cancellation of the person’s right to work in the second state or territory.

Mandatory notification of intention to work in Victoria

AMR is a new system, and we strongly encourage you to contact the Pesticide Safety Team to confirm your eligibility.

Any worker eligible to work in Victoria under the new AMR arrangements must then notify the Pesticide Safety Team by completing the online form prior to working in Victoria.

In January 2022 the Victorian Acting Minister for Health extended the mandatory notification requirement of  intention to work in Victoria until at least 2032.

General information

Licensed workers and businesses can find out more information about automatic mutual recognition by visiting Improving occupational mobility | Deregulation ( or call the Pesticide Safety Team to discuss.

Reviewed 28 January 2022


Was this page helpful?