Our strategic directions state what we are doing to support Victorians to be the healthiest people in the world.
Each strategic direction has deliverables for the four years from 2023–27. We have included initiatives to illustrate what the department is doing, and priority outcomes that we will measure ourselves against.
Together, these can be understood as follows:
- strategic directions – what we want our health, wellbeing and care system to move towards over the next four years
- deliverables – what we need to focus on to drive the strategic directions
- initiatives – what we are doing to achieve the deliverables
- outcomes – how we measure our success
This section outlines the strategic directions, with an overview of the deliverables, initiatives, and outcomes associated with each strategic direction. It also details principles which underpin how we will undertake all the work in the strategic plan, as well as enablers, which will support the department.
- The deliverables reflect existing departmental commitments and ministerial priorities.
- The initiatives do not detail everything the department does, but a small subset of the work the department is doing to pursue each strategic direction.
- The outcomes are from the Department of Health priority outcomes framework.
Keeping people healthy and safe in the community
To keep healthy and safe, we Victorians need to be equipped with information and tools that allow us to make good choices.
Providing care closer to home
We are finding new ways to help Victorians access as many health, wellbeing and care services as possible in their local communities.
Keep innovating and improving care
To innovate is to improve, and every improvement takes us one step closer to our vision of Victorians being the healthiest people in the world.
Improving Aboriginal health and wellbeing
Connection to culture is integral to the health and wellbeing for our strong and proud Victorian Aboriginal community.
Moving from competition to collaboration
By sharing data, knowledge, research and resources, we can design and deliver better and more integrated services that lead to better health outcomes for all.
A stronger and more sustainable health workforce
Health, wellbeing and care workers are the backbone of the health system.
A safe and sustainable health, wellbeing and care system
It's time for change, to build upon past successes and continue developing a modern, safe, and sustainable health, wellbeing and care system.
Reviewed 20 September 2023