Victoria's healthcare system relies on an experienced and highly skilled workforce to deliver the best possible care to those who need it.
If you are a health or mental health professional considering the move to Victoria, there are a range of financial supports available to support your relocation.
The Victorian Government supports international and returning Australian health and mental health workers who have secured a role in a public health service by offering a clear pathway into Victoria.
This includes offering an international travel reimbursement to help with relocation costs:
- $10,000 for healthcare workers who secure a role in a public metropolitan health service
- $13,000 for healthcare workers who secure a role in a rural or regional health service
Funds are transferred via the employing health service, so please speak to your employer about your individual agreement.
This program is an opportunity for health professionals who:
- are currently living overseas, which may include Australian citizens returning home or non-residents who meet
- are international candidates whose occupation is on the and
- have secured a job with a Victorian health service between 1 April 2022 and 30 June 2023 and intend to work within the Victorian public health system for at least two years, and
- can access relevant Australian registration or accreditation for their profession
- are fully vaccinated (including travelling families) for COVID-19 by a Therapeutic Goods Administration approved or recognised vaccine.
The Skilled Occupation List (SOL) includes but is not limited to the following health professions:
- General Practitioner (253111)
- Hospital Pharmacist (251511)
- Industrial Pharmacist (251512)
- Medical Laboratory Scientist (234611)
- Medical Practitioners nec (253999)
- Midwife (254111)
- Orthotist or Prosthetist (251912)
- Psychiatrist (253411)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
- Registered Nurses nec (254499)
- Resident Medical Officer (253112)
- Retail Pharmacist (251513)
- Social Worker (272511)
How to apply
Applications to the reimbursement happen through the recruitment process with the employing Victorian public health service. The reimbursement will be provided to new, eligible employees by their health service in accordance with existing health service payroll processes.
The employing health service will be required to identify these payments within their systems, and as such may require employees or managers to complete documentation.
Regional mental health workforce incentives
Supports are available to help mental health professionals take up exciting positions in mental health and alcohol and other drug facilities in regional and rural Victoria. Flexible grants are available to qualified workers to help with costs such as accommodation, relocation, childcare, school fees and vehicle costs.
Reviewed 25 November 2022