Department of Health

Victoria is Australia's most diverse state, with almost half of all Victorians either born overseas or with at least one parent born overseas. Diversity and tolerance are the bedrock of our vibrant, dynamic community.

Our migration and visa system

The Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs is responsible for the assessment, processing, and management of over 100 visa classes that allow eligible people to live and work in Australia, including in the state of Victoria. Eligibility for a visa will depend on your goals, age, country of origin, skills, and many other criteria.

Healthcare workers relocating to Victoria may be eligible for one or more visa classes.

International workers who do not already have the right to work in Australia, such as those who are not Australian citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or New Zealand citizens, may be supported to obtain an appropriate visa. In most cases this should be an employer sponsored subclass 482 visa. However, it is worth exploring alternative visa requirements.

To learn about the best visa option for you, visit:

Pathways to permanent residency

A permanent visa allows holders to remain in Australia indefinitely and generally enables them to:

  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare
  • apply for bank loans and buy property
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
  • travel to and from Australia for as long as your travel facility permits
  • attend free language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
  • work in New Zealand.

Those applying for permanent visas must meet eligibility requirements. To learn more about permanent visas and how to become a permanent resident of Australia, we recommend consulting the Department of Home AffairsExternal Link .

Reviewed 30 August 2022

Was this page helpful?