Department of Health

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner

The logo of Mental Health Complaints Commissioner

The Mental Health Complaints Commissioner (MHCC) is an independent, specialist body established under the Mental Health Act 2014 to safeguard rights, resolve complaints about Victorian public mental health services and recommend improvements.

Every public mental health service must have a process to help you speak up and raise your concerns, or you can contact the MHCC.

Who can make a complaint?

People receiving public mental health services, families, carers, advocates, mental health workers and friends – any person who is genuinely concerned about someone’s experience with a public mental health service in Victoria can make a complaint.

If your complaint is about someone else’s experience the MHCC will usually need to seek their consent to the complaint.

What complaints can the MHCC help with?

The MHCC deals with complaints about public mental health services in Victoria, including issues such as access, treatment and care. It can take complaints about the following services:

  • designated mental health services, including hospital-based, community, residential, specialist and forensic services
  • publicly funded mental health community support services if they are not funded by the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme)
  • NDIS services if the complaint is about things that happened before 1 July 2019 or before the service was funded by the NDIS. Otherwise, please contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission.

If you’re not sure whether the MHCC can help you, please call its Resolutions Officers on 1800 246 054 (free from landlines) or 03 9032 3328 to ask a question, make a complaint or discuss your options. If they can’t help you with your concerns, they will do their best to put you in touch with people who can.

How can the MHCC support you to make a complaint?

When you make a complaint, MHCC staff will listen to you, hear what you’d like to happen and talk to you about the options available for resolving your complaint.

They can:

  • receive complaints in any language
  • arrange an interpreter at no cost to you
  • arrange an appointment or Skype call with a National Relay Service interpreter if you have hearing or speech support needs, at no cost to you.

Resources on making a complaint in other languages, Easy English and Auslan can be found on Accessible resources

For more information and to access the MHCC’s complaint forms, visit the Mental Health Complaints Commissioner website. 

Speak up – your experience matters!

Reviewed 10 March 2022


Was this page helpful?