Older people in hospital are at risk of experiencing functional decline.
This supporting information provides additional material and examples that reinforce the principles and strategies provided throughout Older people in hospital.
- a set of stories showcasing how individual health services have made improvements during the Improving Care For Older People initiative
- an outline of initiatives taken by health services as part of the Improving Care For Older People Program
- a set of fact sheets for clinicians outlining strategies to provide best care for older people in hospital
- information on clinical handover, including a case study outlining best practice principles
- resources to engage consumers in taking active steps to remain as well as possible when in hospital
- information on guardianship and least restrictive practice.
Applying a person centred framework to clinical handover plays a critical role in preventing functional decline.
Guardianship and least restrictive practice in Victoria
Explores guardianship and least restrictive practice in the context of discharge planning for older people in hospital who have complex needs.
Improving access - fact sheets for clinicians
Providing best care to older people in hospital requires a multi-dimensional and preventative approach. These ten fact sheets support clinicians to prevent functional decline.
Implementation case studies
Older people presenting to hospital are at risk of functional decline. Victorian health services made many changes to address this risk during the Improving Care for Older People Initiative.
Improving Care for Older People Program - Health service initiatives
Initiatives undertaken by Victorian health services as part of the Improving Care for Older People (ICOP) program.
Reviewed 10 November 2021