Voice Over: Standard 5 - Equity and diversity.
Displayed on screen: (Standard 5 - Equity is upheld and diverse needs respected in policy and practice.)
Nicole McCartney, Chief Aboriginal Health Adviser speaking to camera: A child safe organisation respects, recognises and celebrates each child’s needs, and is considerate and responsive to disability, specific cultural and religious backgrounds, those questioning their sexuality or gender and the needs of vulnerable children. Embracing diversity and the individual identity of a child can be fundamental to a child’s health and wellbeing and ability to participate in and access services.
Voice Over (and displayed on screen): To comply with Standard 5 your organisation must meet the following four minimum requirements:
- The organisation understands children’s diverse circumstances and provides support and responds to those who are vulnerable.
- Children and young people have access to information, support and complaints processes in ways that are culturally safe, accessible, and easy to understand.
- The organisation pays particular attention to the needs of children with a disability, children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, those who are unable to live at home, and those questioning their sexuality or gender.
- The organisation pays particular attention to the needs of Aboriginal children and provides and promotes a culturally safe environment for them.
Nicole McCartney, Chief Aboriginal Health Adviser speaking to camera: To know if your organisation is meeting Standard 5, ask yourself the following questions:
- How do you respect and recognise the diverse needs of children and support them to participate in your organisation?
- What changes have been made to your organisation’s policies and procedures to support vulnerable children?
- Are resources and information available in a diverse range of styles and languages as needed?
- And What professional support is available for children if necessary?
Voice Over (and displayed on screen): For more information on Child Safe Standards visit the departments website.
Reviewed 23 August 2023