Department of Health

Seniors Rights Victoria has been funded by the Victorian Government since 2008 to safeguard the rights, dignity and independence of older people.

The service provides experienced advocates and legal advisors to give information, support, advice and education to help prevent elder abuse. It is a welcoming and respectful environment where older people can talk confidentially about their experiences and choose their preferred action. Interpreters are available when needed.


Seniors Rights Victoria can help any Victorian aged 60 and above, or any Aboriginal Victorian aged 45 and above, on matters relating to elder abuse and ageing. This includes:

  • age discrimination
  • grandparenting rights
  • guardianship and administration
  • family care and 'granny flat' arrangements
  • powers of attorney
  • wills and estates.

Services also include a help line, specialist legal services and short-term support and advocacy for individuals.

Finally, Seniors Rights Victoria provides leadership on policy and law reform.

If you, or a client or someone you know is experiencing elder abuse, please contact the free, confidential help line: 1300 368 821.

Further information is available on the Seniors Rights VictoriaExternal Link website.

Elder abuse organisations in other states and territories

If you, or a client is living outside of Victoria you can contact one of the following services:

Australian Capital Territory

ACT Disability, Aged and Carer Advocacy Service (ADACAS)

Older Persons Abuse Prevention Referral and Information Line (APRIL)

  • Phone: (02) 6205 3535

New South Wales

NSW Helpline and Resource Unit


Elder Abuse Prevention Unit

South Australia

Aged Rights Advocacy Service


Advocacy Tasmania

Western Australia


Northern Territory

Darwin Community Legal Service Elder Abuse Information Line

Reviewed 25 November 2021


Contact details

For enquiries about the Victorian Government's Elder Abuse Prevention and Response Initiative

Elder Abuse Prevention and Response Initiative Department of Health and Human Services

Was this page helpful?