Department of Health

Key messages

  • Supported Residential Services are one type of shared residential accommodation available in Victoria.
  • Other accommodation options include rooming houses, residential aged care services, disability services, mental health services and retirement villages.
  • Victorians considering shared residential accommodation should consider all the options before deciding the best option for them.

Victorians considering SRS should examine all housing options before deciding, such as rooming houses, residential aged care services and retirement villages.

Rooming houses or boarding houses are private accommodation that is run by a private owner or a not-for-profit group. Residents have an individual agreement with their rooming house owner or manager. This agreement gives the resident exclusive possession to their room and shared access to communal facilities such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundries and living areas.

Residential aged care services provide continuous supported care to older people who can no longer live at home. Residential aged care services are also known as ‘aged care homes’. Individuals and organisations with Commonwealth Government approval can manage and operate aged care homes.

Disability services has information about accommodation for people with a disability. Options include help to stay at home and shared supported accommodation.

Mental health services have information about accommodation for people with a mental illness.

Retirement villages provide independent accommodation for retirees (over the age of 55 years) and often include additional facilities and services such as swimming pools, libraries, tennis courts, meeting rooms, social activities and visits from healthcare professionals. Retirement villages are not aged care homes or part of the aged care system. Retirement villages charge an up-front fee when residents move in, as well as ongoing fees for maintenance, personal services, utilities and insurance. 

Reviewed 09 September 2015


Was this page helpful?