In providing these services, CVDL is guided by legislation principles and ethical standards while adhering to health privacy and records Acts that apply to the use of unit-level data for research and statistical purposes.
Early engagement with the CVDL team is strongly recommended for researchers seeking access to linked data as the CVDL team can determine if the data linkage request is technically feasible and can be carried out by CVDL.
Guiding principles for data linkage
- public interest -- any data linkage work must ultimately be in the public interest
- governance and public transparency -- having a transparent and accountable governance structure is essential to ensuring that data is being accessed and linked in an appropriate and responsible manner
- privacy -- protecting the individual's privacy
- consent -- ensuring data custodians and subjects have been granted by an appropriate oversight body
- anonymisation -- making sure any re-identification risks have been removed
- security -- checking that trained staff and security controls of data use in a secure environment are in place
- access and personnel -- ensuring linked data files are provided only to nominated staff involved in the project
- clinical trials -- considering specific requirements as appropriate
- sanctions -- applying legal measures when there has been a breach.
Responsibilities of researchers
The Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research (2007) promotes good practice, responsible conduct of research and handling breaches of the code such as:
- fabrication of results
- conducting research without ethics approval
- conflicts of interest.
Applying for linked data
All data linkage request applications are to be submitted to CVDL (email@example.com). The data output that are provided to the applicant must be used for the intended purpose as stated in the completed CVDL 'Data request form'.
- must be stored securely
- must be destroyed when no longer required by the applicant
- must not be accessed or used by a third party.
Data request timeframe
The timeframe of a project is dependent on a number of factors, including linkage complexities; some practices might be more exhaustive than others. CVDL Client services' will assist as much as possible to give you an indication on a project timeframe for you to plan your project.
Reviewed 23 November 2015