Victoria’s mental health and wellbeing system is set to provide better support to the families, carers and supporters of people experiencing mental health and/or substance use challenges – with 8 new Family and Carer-led Centres opening across the state this year.
There are currently more than 60,000 Victorians providing mental health care to family and loved ones, often going unpaid and without adequate support.
The Centres will provide a warm and welcoming space that is easily accessible and freely available to families, carers and supporters of all ages, with no need for a referral. Led by people with lived experience of supporting someone with mental health challenges, they will provide information, networks, resources and access to hardship funds.
The providers who will manage the new Family and Carer-led Centres have now been appointed and will work in partnership with local agencies. The successful providers are*:
- Gippsland: Wellways Australia (lead) with Satellite Foundation
- Hume: Gateway Health
- Loddon Mallee: Mind Australia (lead) with Mallee Family Care
- South Western: Wellways Australia (lead) with Satellite Foundation
- South East (metro): Star Health (lead) with Connect Health and Community, and Central Bayside Community Health (partners)
- North East (metro): Access Health and Community (lead) with Self Help Addiction Recovery Centre (SHARC), healthAbility, and Inspiro (partners)
- Western (metro): Jesuit Social Services
*A provider is yet to be appointed for the Grampians Region Centre.
The Centres will be co-designed and co-led by families, carers and supporters, in partnership with peak body Tandem. A trusted voice for carers, families and supporters in mental health, is working with people with lived and living experience of supporting a loved one to develop the Centres’ service delivery model.
If you are supporting someone with their mental health and need support, contact Tandem 1800 314 325
Reviewed 30 January 2023