What is Smile Squad?
Smile Squad is a free school dental program, run by the Victorian Department of Health. Smile Squad visits government primary, secondary and special schools to do dental checks and treatments. It also provides information about how to care for teeth. The service is completely free – there are no costs for families. All students at government schools are eligible. Students do not need to have a Medicare card.
You can read more about Smile Squad on the .
What will the Refugee Advisory Group do?
We are looking for members of a new Refugee Advisory Group to help us make Smile Squad better for students from refugee and asylum seeker backgrounds.
The Refugee Advisory Group will tell us what we can do so refugee students and their families know about the program and how to take part. The Group will tell us how we can deliver the program in the right way for different communities. The Group will also tell us how we can provide information about dental health that is helpful and reaches communities in the right ways.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for members from a wide range of refugee backgrounds to bring different skills and experiences from their lives and their work.
We want to hear from you if you:
- live in Victoria
- are from a refugee or asylum seeker background (including people on temporary protection visas)
- have experience working with refugee communities in health services or health promotion, or in government schools
- are good at working together with other people.
We would especially like to hear from people from refugee backgrounds who:
- have worked in public dental services, oral health promotion, or in schools to support communication with refugee families
- have experience in developing communications for refugee communities, ideally about health
- are aged under 25 and attended a Victorian government school.
What is involved?
- Meetings will mostly be online.
- Meetings will be 1.5 hours, once a month from April 2023.
- Meetings will be in English – with interpreters if needed.
- You do not need to read and write in English or any other language.
- We can help you to join online meetings if you need. For example, we could find an office space and a computer if you don’t have one, or someone could sit with you through the meeting to help you.
- You will be paid $237 per meeting.
- We can provide additional payments for any costs to participate (like childcare).
If you have any questions, contact Eleanor Bentham:
- Mobile: 0476 177 510
- Email: email@example.com.
- Or visit the Smile Squad .
How to apply
Please apply by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please describe your experience and the skills you think will be helpful to the group and the program.
So that we can ensure a diverse group, please also provide details of your cultural background and how long you have been living in Australia (for example, 1-5 years, 5-10 years, 10-20 years, 20 years+, or born in Australia). This information is confidential and will not be shared.
Please apply by midnight, Sunday 2 April 2023.
If you can’t apply in writing for any reason, please phone Eleanor instead on 0476 177 510.
Reviewed 21 March 2023