Victoria was notified of 73 new cases of COVID-19 yesterday. All were locally acquired cases.
There are 805 active cases in Victoria – 800 locally acquired and five overseas acquired cases.
There are 49 COVID-19 cases in hospital in Victoria. 15 cases are in intensive care and 11 cases are on ventilators.
The total number of confirmed cases in Victoria since the beginning of the pandemic is 21,996.
Of today’s 73 local cases, 52 cases have been linked to existing cases or known outbreaks:
- 9 are linked to the Shepparton outbreak
- 5 to MyCentre Childcare
- 5 to Al-Taqwa College
- 3 to the City of Hobsons Bay outbreak
- 2 to Glenroy West Primary School
- 2 linked to Sunshine Hospital ED
- 2 linked to Chemist Warehouse Hoppers Crossing
- 1 linked to the RMH outbreak
- 1 to the East St Kilda community outbreak
- 1 to Barkly Square in Brunswick
- 1 to CS Square in Caroline Springs
- and 20 cases linked to existing cases without a known acquisition source.
The acquisition source of 21 new cases is still under investigation.
At least 24 cases have been in isolation for the duration of their infectious period.
Locations of new locally-acquired cases:
- 1 in Banyule
- 2 in Boroondara
- 7 in Brimbank
- 3 in Darebin
- 2 in Dandenong
- 9 in Shepparton
- 15 in Hobsons Bay
- 8 in Hume
- 2 in Melbourne
- 1 in Monash
- 3 in Moreland
- 3 in Port Phillip
- 2 in Whittlesea
- 14 in Wyndham
- 1 in Yarra
Of Victoria’s active cases:
- 170 are aged between 0 and 9
- 124 are aged between 10 and 19
- 167 are aged between 20 and 29
- 150 are aged between 30 and 39
There are currently more than 16,300 active primary close contacts in isolation in Victoria and more than 20,700 secondary close contacts.
At midday today, there were more than 930 exposure sites in Victoria.
The Department regularly manages exposure sites that it doesn’t publish online, particularly if these sites represent lower-risk exposures, or if they have comprehensive record-keeping and contact tracing measures, or if they identify small, private locations – including smaller apartment or townhouse complexes.
Yesterday, 26,702 vaccine doses were administered by Victoria’s state-commissioned services yesterday.
The total number of doses administered through these services is 2,383,177.
From today, everyone between ages 16 to 59 is eligible to receive Pfizer through both state-run centres and participating GPs.
Across Victoria, community pharmacies are also supporting the vaccination effort and are administering AstraZeneca. The Commonwealth Government has indicated participating pharmacies will begin receiving supplies of Moderna by mid-September. Pharmacies are not currently administering Pfizer.
COVID-19 wastewater detections in Victoria
The Department is continuing to identify unexpected detections of COVID-19 fragments in wastewater in metropolitan Melbourne in areas that have not recorded recent positive cases.
Anyone who lives, works or has visited the below listed suburbs and areas is urged to watch for the slightest symptoms of COVID-19 and to get tested as soon as possible if symptoms develop.
Current areas of concern are:
Metro catchments - residential
- Western suburbs: Tottenham and West Footscray detection with period of interest 23-26 August. Sunshine West – repeat detections with period of interest 22-26 August. South Kingsville and Spotswood – repeat detections with period of interest 17-20 and 22-27 August.
- Southern suburbs: Aspendale, Aspendale Gardens, Bonbeach, Carrum, Chelsea, Chelsea Heights, Edithvale, Mordialloc, Patterson Lakes, Seaford – repeat detections in the period of interest 23-27 August.
Metro catchments - industrial
- Sunshine West – 15 repeated detections in the period of interest 8-27 August.
41,395 tests were processed in Victoria yesterday.
COVID-19 symptoms include fever, sore throat, cough, shortness of breath and loss or change in sense of smell or taste. If you are experiencing symptoms, wear a fitted face mask when you get tested.
Latest statewide numbers (data reported to 11:59pm yesterday):
|Cases acquired locally||Cases acquired interstate||Cases acquired overseas||Active cases||Lives lost||Tests processed yesterday||Total tests since pandemic began|
Number of permits issued
(Jan 11 - 7am today)
|Number of permit applications processed in the past 24 hours||Average # of permits issued per minute in the past 24 hours|
Reviewed 29 August 2021