- Diversity planning and practice is a strategic population planning initiative that encourages service delivery that responds to and respects the specific characteristics of the person seeking services.
- Diversity planning and practice seeks to ensure equitable access to services for eligible Victorians, regardless of their diversity or disadvantage.
Special needs groups
Diversity planning and practice focuses on five special needs groups under the Home and Community Care Act 2007:
- people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds
- people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- people with dementia
- people living in rural and remote areas
- people experiencing financial disadvantage (including people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness).
Diversity planning also addresses other characteristics that may be a barrier to accessing services such as age, socioeconomic status, gender, faith, spirituality and those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex (LGBTI).
Diversity planning and practice review
In 2014 the department reviewed the implementation of HACC diversity planning and practice, including agency diversity planning, the HACC Diversity Adviser role and the HACC Access and Support role.
Agency diversity plans
Service providers are required to develop and implement diversity plans that:
- demonstrate they understand the demographics of the target population in their catchment, and the diversity of their client population
- identify groups who may not have equitable access to services, and identify barriers to access to services for these people
- set priorities and develop an action plan with achievable and measurable outcomes
- implement the plan
- monitor the plan against outcomes
- review the plan.
The Strengthening diversity planning and practice guide can help service providers implement diversity planning and practice. The guide includes information about:
- key requirements for agencies
- diversity concepts and issues
- information about diverse groups
- planning processes, data sources, priority setting, measurable goals and objectives, and examples of planning tools and templates.
Regional diversity plans
Reviewed 09 September 2015