Department of Health

Key messages

  • In Victoria, any individual or business selling food or drink must be registered with their local council; this includes businesses selling from temporary or mobile food premises.
  • Use the Streatrader website to register your temporary and mobile food business with local council.

Streatrader is the online system used by businesses and community groups to register or notify their temporary and mobile food premises with their principal council.

Streatrader is also the registration system for water carter and vending machine businesses trading in Victoria.

Businesses and community groups operating temporary and mobile food premises must use Streatrader to:

  • apply for a Food Act 1984 registration with their registering council
  • manage their registration
  • lodge Statements of Trade.

In Victoria, all food premises are required to have a Food Act registration or notification from their registering council before selling food or drink.

Streatrader – who is it for

You can use Streatrader to register your business or community group’s mobile or temporary food premises. Examples of those who register via Streatrader include:

  • businesses selling food from a temporary site, such as a market or a festival stall
  • businesses selling, giving away or sampling food at an exhibition or a trade show from a stall
  • farmers selling produce at markets from a stall
  • home-based business selling baked goods at markets
  • mobile food vans or trucks
  • coffee vans
  • vending machine business
  • water carters
  • community groups hosting a sausage sizzle or cake stall
  • community groups selling food at a market or a festival
  • community groups cooking and selling food from a food truck or a trailer
  • schools holding a fete or a festival.

Reviewed 08 October 2015


Contact details

Food Safety Unit

Was this page helpful?