Department of Health

Supported residential services

Supported residential services (SRS) are privately operated businesses that provide accommodation and support for Victorians who need help with everyday activities. Each SRS determines the services it offers and its fee structure.

The Department of Families, Fairness and Housing:

  • develops information and resources for residents and proprietors 
  • maintains a list of registered SRS in Victoria
  • provides assistance to pension-level SRS to ensure the safety and wellbeing of residents experiencing disadvantage.

The Human Services Regulator within the department administers the Supported Residential Services (Private Proprietors) Act 2010, and monitors SRS compliance with this Act and its regulations as part of its role to regulate human services to minimise harm and to protect the safety and rights of children, young people and adults.

This site also provides information on:

  • residents’ rights and responsibilities, how to find an SRS, services that may be offered, fees and making a complaint
  • becoming an SRS proprietor - the registration process, the application assessment and the proprietor/manager suitability assessment
  • operating an SRS - understanding the legal obligations of operating an SRS including emergency management planning, managing incidents, the role of community visitors, training and varying registration conditions
  • other accommodation options which include rooming houses, residential aged care services and retirement villages. 

Reviewed 22 October 2021


Contact details

Standards and Regulation Human Services Regulator

Was this page helpful?